Book Chat & Movie Chat

  • Once a week we'll chat about Zombie or Horror novels and Movies/TV Series

Friday, June 17, 2016

Where would you hole up during a zombie apocalypse?




Where would you hole up during a zombie apocalypse?

I’ve thought about this a lot. Hey, not only because I’m working on a zombie novel, but it’s pretty common for fans of zombie lore to indulge in these scenarios.

COMMENTS are welcome. I’d love to not only hear what you think about this discussion, but let’s add to it. Have you thought about how you would secure your home in a zombie outbreak? SHAREJ

I’ll be covering 4 areas in my blog:
1.  Staying where you are; ie, in your home.
2.  Holing up on an island
3.  Escaping on a boat
4.  Making it to somewhere remote like the mountains

For this blog topic let’s talk about staying in your home.

While it’s true many folks caught in the beginnings of a zombie outbreak would have to hold up where they were at the time, including office buildings, hospitals, stores, etc., the purpose of this blog focus is staying in your home.

Christy, my daughter, and I have often talked about this topic. It’s fun. Is this place safe? If not, what could you do to make it so?

So you are in your home when the first undead person comes stumbling to your front door? What do you do? If you caught wind of what was coming, hopefully you have prepared.

Let’s get personal and take a look at my house in South Carolina, which we just sold in Dec. I’ll be saving my present home, a log cabin, for the future discussion about moving to an isolated location.


Our house was all brick, and all the windows were high, the lower sill reaching to head height. Pretty great set up, but not perfect. The biggest problem was the 2 sets of French doors off the living room. I wouldn’t want to see dozens of zombie faces and hands pressed up against the glass!


What to do? Christy and I decided pushing the entertainment center in front of one would work well. It was very heavy and big enough to cover the area. Moving it would be a hassle, but in those circumstances, who would be complaining.:)

The other French door could be barricaded with the china cabinet, another heavy piece of furniture. Then for extra safety, securing the furniture. That I would leave up to my handy hubby. I’m sure he would come up with something. He has lots of tools, and that is one thing you would want on hand – tools for all occasions.

Who would think you would need them to secure your house from zombies? LOL. Having lumber lying around would come in might handy too. None around? Take off inside doors and use them to say cover a window that needs securing.

But first, we may want to secure the deck outside the doors, if possible. Our thoughts were to block the only stairs with furniture. Not sure if that would work, but that was our thinking. The deck was a pretty nifty set up as well, being head height and then the railings on top. As long as you didn’t get close so zombies could grab you, they could be kept on ground level. That is…if they can’t climb.

The front door was the only other entry point. Again, furniture packed in so that the steps would not be easy to navigate. Then strips of wood nailed across the door.

So there you have my personal observation on how I would have secured my home in SC. Might not be a perfect plan, but I think it is a pretty good start. I’m sure improvisation would be the name of the game during those times.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO MAKE YOUR HOME SAFE?

The next blog I’ll be carrying this subject a bit further by discussing the most famous horror movie example of securing the home. Stay tuned for Night of the Living Dead – What did they do right? What would you have done differently?

Be sure and follow my blog so you won't miss the fun and weird discussions. 

Myra Nour
www.myranour.net

5 comments:

  1. Someone on a FB group I belong to, asked me this - Ever watch "The Omega Man" starring Charlton Heston? Like his refuge, if I could swing that.

    That is a great discussion question. Yes, and love it. I think the Penthouse was a great choice. A generator in the garage ditto. Course, Heston wasn't fighting zombies, but crazed infected people, so I'm not sure how well that would go over with the undead.

    Easy to protect, only one way in, through the garage. He had an elevator into the apartment. Heston was living pretty sweet, plenty of food and lights, etc., courtesy of the generator. But would he be able to survive zombies outside his garage when he had to leave for supplies?

    Don't know. He had a machine gun but he'd need to be a good shot for those tricky head pops. I guess it would depend on how many zombies there were in the city. I can't remember if he was in NY, but it was a big city. So I'd say his chances of survival are slim by himself at least.

    Comments welcome. Myra Nour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where would I be? Anywhere they are not lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pasting a response from Stephen Wilson, who tried to post but wouldn't go through for some reason. Stephen had some good points. Here they are:

    My comment was: Myra, as I said in my FB post I liked Neville's NYC apartment. I've pondered how he got that pad. I concluded that it was an abandoned apartment he found in his hunt. It seems a bit 'swinging bachelor' and so I suspect it was exactly that. Perhaps a place where a wealthy man kept or rendezvoused with his mistress?

    You mentioned the garage doors and they are a weak link, but so is the low-level balcony (as we see when a bleacher uses it to get in). If the doors were swarmed I suppose he could lead the zombies away by tossing a lit string of firecrackers off the balcony, but I'd want to have a rolling juggernaut for my escape, something that would roll over pretty much any obstacle, that I could blow out of there in and just barrel right over the horde. (I've wondered why the people on The Walking Dead didn't create such things with monster trucks, but I digress.) However, for all his military knowledge (really? and he never fortified that balcony?) I guess he wasn't a mechanic. I'm reminded of a comment in "Last Man on Earth," the seed from which "Omega Man" sprang, where Neville is replacing his car and considers that he's looking for a car he can use as a hearse, so maybe he wasn't much of a car-fixer-upper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen, I think you are right, was a cool pad for back then. LOL. The balcony did seem a bit low but as long as zombies didn't climb I think it had enough height. Been a while since I watched it last. I like your idea, monster truck? LOL. Sorry you couldn't get your info to post on my blog. I asked the lady who helped me set it up to make a comment and hers went through as well as mine. I am going to post this reply from you because has some interesting points. I hope you can get through in the future if you wish to respond on my blog. Not sure what the issue was... Myra

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were to hole up some where? What about one of those huge Walmart storage places. Lot's of food and hardly any windows.

    ReplyDelete